You might always be thinking about moisturizing, defining, or styling your natural hair whether it is curly, straight, wavy, or frizzy. But you also need to give equal attention to another wispy part of your hair that you often forget: Your Edges.
Hair edges are soft, delicate, and fine baby hair that usually grows from the front part of your hairline and frames your face. Hair edges are extremely fragile, so they are more prone to breakage and require special care. Thus, you need to moisturize and deep condition them regularly, wash them properly, and style your edges carefully.
Loss of hair at the edges, also known as traction alopecia, is a common problem in people who are involved in excessive and bad hairstyling that can cause strain on the edges. Hairstyles like braids, locs, and tight ponytails cause the edges to pull and lead to the disappearance of the hairline over a period of time. There are other reasons for hair loss (edges and beyond) as well, like pregnancy, stress, genetics, scalp infections, medications, nutritional imbalance, rapid weight loss, and hormonal issues.
If you have disappearing and thinning edges, it’s still not too late. You just need to find the right treatment that can help you grow your edges back. Even if your edges are strong and healthy and you want them to remain the same, here are some tips on how you can protect, maintain, and grow your edges using coconut oil.
Protection and maintenance of your edges
- Always keep your edges moisturized because dry hair has an increased risk of breakage. Massage your edges with natural oils. Massaging will improve your blood circulation and hence stimulate hair growth.
- You should avoid tight protective styles because they create tension and pull on your scalp, enhancing the breakage of your edges. Also, take a break from the heat if your edges are thinning.
- Deep conditioning your hair regularly helps in strengthening your edges.
- Always follow a vitamin and nutrient-rich diet because your edges need them for growing and strengthening.
- Continuous use of hard brushes and edge control gel will prevent your edges from growing back. You have to let them grow naturally without being forced down.
- Try sleeping on a satin pillowcase because cotton pillowcases can cause friction and absorb oils and moisture from your edges, making them dry and vulnerable to breakage. You should also tie a silk scarf gently around your edges at night to keep them protected.
- Many natural and organic oils help enhance hair growth and prevent hair loss. Also, natural oils help in promoting a healthy scalp because they are essential for the healthy growth of hair. Rosemary oil, peppermint oil, castor oil, and coconut oil are some of the oils to enhance hair growth.
In the upcoming section, there are some details about coconut oil. What are the benefits of coconut oil and how can you use coconut oil to regrow your edges?
How to grow edges with coconut oil
Coconut oil is a miracle oil and acts as holy water for the beauty world. It has been used as a moisturizer and sunscreen for many years. Adding coconut oil to your daily use products, such as body lotions, oils, shampoos, and conditioners, can enhance the effectiveness of your products. Because of its many effective properties, coconut oil has proven to be a much-needed item in the skin and hair care regime of women throughout the world.
Coconut oil is useful in:
- Burning body fat
- Growing strong and healthy hair
- Fighting harmful bacterial and fungal infections
- As a makeup remover
- As a toothpaste for whitening your teeth
- Much more
However, this article will only discuss the properties of coconut oil regarding the hair. Coconut oil is a one-stop solution for almost every hair problem. It is highly effective for hair loss or thinning issues. It helps in preventing your hair from falling out and makes it grow even healthier and stronger. It is an unacknowledged fighter of almost all of our hair and beauty problems.
Below are some properties of coconut oil that are involved in preventing hair loss and growing your hair.
- Coconut oil is a great moisturizer for your scalp and hair. It helps in preventing your scalp from drying out and also provides nourishment to the scalp. It also helps in coating the roots of your hair and preventing them from damage. A fully moisturized scalp is a way of keeping the follicles of your edges thick and strong.
- Due to the antifungal and antibacterial properties of coconut oil, it helps in fighting against any bacterial infection that can be involved in inhibiting the growth of edges, and the antioxidants in the oil enhance hair growth at the edges
- Because coconut oil has exfoliation properties, it helps in scrubbing dead skin tissue from the scalp and stimulates hair growth.
- It is also great in fighting dandruff on the scalp and helps in providing complete nourishment to the hair follicles, which leads to faster hair growth at the edges.
- Lauric acid found in coconut oil helps in binding the protein to hair and reduces the loss of protein from hair. It is also useful in protecting the roots and strands of hair and minimizes breakage. This is essential for the growth of your hair because hair strands and roots stay healthy and strong when they are properly protected from harm.
- Coconut oil has the potential to penetrate the hair shaft, which is very beneficial. It protects the hair shaft from environmental factors like heat. Coconut oil acts as a natural SPF and helps in protecting your hair from the damaging rays of the sun.
- A head massage with coconut oil is very beneficial in improving blood circulation. Improved circulation then leads to the provision of nutrients and nourishment to your follicles, resulting in the healthy and thick growth of edges.
Use of coconut oil for growth of edges
Here are some tips on how you can use coconut oil to enhance the growth of your hair at edges.
- Head massage
- Coconut and castor oil
Mix two tablespoons of coconut oil, one teaspoon of castor oil, and a few drops of lavender essential oil in a bowl. Apply this mixture of oils on your scalp and hair at the edges and beyond and then massage thoroughly. Leave it for a few hours and then wash your hair as usual. Apply this regularly and watch your edges grow.
- Coconut oil and aloe vera gel
Mix coconut oil and aloe vera gel in a bowl. Apply this mixture to your hair and leave it for a few hours. This mixture helps in moisturizing your hair and preventing hair loss.
- Coconut oil and olive oil hair pack
Mix coconut oil and olive oil in a bowl and heat them. Massage your scalp and hair with this mixture. Take a towel and soak it in hot water, squeeze out the excess water, and wrap it around your head. Leave it for about an hour and wash it off with a mild shampoo. Apply this mixture regularly. This mixture enhances hair growth and gives you soft, healthy, and thick hair at the edges.
Deep hair conditioning
Wash your hair with shampoo and do not condition. Take some hot coconut oil and honey and mix them in a bowl. Apply it to your hair at the edges and beyond when your hair is completely dried. Comb your hair to make sure that the oil has penetrated your scalp and has coated every strand of your hair. Use a shower cap to cover your hair and leave it like that for 45 minutes or overnight. Wash it off with shampoo again. Use this technique whenever you plan to wash your hair. This mixture will moisturize your hair and strengthen hair follicles.
Coconut oil is a one-stop solution for all of your hair problems and is easily available in supermarkets and online. It may take your hair some time to adjust to the oil as with any new hair care routine, so be patient and wait for results. People with medical conditions like eczema, psoriasis, or scalp infections should consult their dermatologist before using coconut oil. However, coconut oil is safe to use on hair for many people.